Friday, April 4, 2014

Elimination Diet Update

I know my elimination diet isn't really garden related. Well except for what I should be planting or not planting. But to me food is so intricately entwined with vegetable gardening that I often add such things. I really wish I knew the answers now. I'm going to be planting my peas and favas soon. I'm pretty sure that soy and dried beans are a problem (though not 100%), but what about the rest of the legume family? I'm really hoping that peas and favas (and chickpeas) are OK. Though I love beans they won't be nearly as hard to give up as soy is. Soy pervades out world. And we used to go out to Chinese food about once a week. I'll really miss that. I know my husband will miss it even more.

I haven't had too much trouble keeping on the diet. I did have a slight break. Above are some Applegate chicken sausages. They didn't look like they had any forbidden food. But they had the nasty addition of "spices" on the label. Now I can have all the herbs and spices I want, but nightshades are off the table. I bit into it and damn. Cayenne pepper. So I did some digging and indeed cayenne is one of the spices. I might well eat the rest when I'm off the elimination diet as the amount is probably not enough to hurt me. But I'll be good for now and leave them off. Too bad though as they are very tasty and sadly breakfast is back to being cream of buckwheat and bananas with a touch of olive oil.

I discovered brown rice wraps. So I occasionally have wraps for lunch. They don't hold a candle to wheat or corn based wraps, but still I'm happy to have them. I was looking for noodles too. Not rice noodles but buckwheat noodles. Soba noodles. I went to H-mart as the place to find such things. But all their buckwheat noodles had wheat in them. None were wheatless. Too bad. I did have fun there though. Their produce section is so fun to go through. They have things we don't see in our normal markets. Like dragon fruit, jack fruit, banana flower, and lotus. Things I've never seen before and don't recognize the names. And there where choys all over the place. Choys I hadn't seen before. I bought some Napa cabbage, some green onions, celery, and plantains. I wish I could have bought the mushrooms, as the variety is amazing. But mushrooms aren't on my approved list.

But on to the diet. To keep from starving to death I keep a container in the fridge with a smoothie now. It is made with light coconut milk. I thought I'd be able to buy coconut milk in quart containers since it seem so popular now. But I could only find coconut milk drinks with a lot of additives. Only the canned stuff comes with an ingredient of just coconut milk. I bought a case of them from Trader Joes to keep me supplied. I do love my coconut milk. I only used it occasionally in the past, but this elimination diet really makes me love the tropical.

I have found one place that I can go out to eat. The Summer Shack near our house does a GFY (good for you) meal that keeps to a lot of common diets - including a gluten free diet. Their starch is brown rice. The meat is fish. I have to tell them to take off the vegetable they have (as it tends to be mixed things and occasionally pickled) and replace it with steamed broccoli, and use just olive oil, salt, and pepper for the fish. But it works. And oh so yummy. The funny thing is they used to be terrible. The fish was awful. We really only went there for lobsters in season. But their chef has obviously changed over the years. And now it is oh so good.

I got my food allergy tests done on Tuesday. These are skin tests as they are much more accurate than blood tests. And I'm not allergic to any of the major food allergens. That is good news at least. Often when you add things back into your diet you put them in but take them back out. Since allergies have been ruled out with shellfish and citrus, I'm going to leave them in once they get tried. Usually their trouble is allergies and not sensitivities and my troubles are all sensitivities.

And everyone asks me if the diet is working. Yes, to a degree. My headaches are a little better. And the inflammation problems are way down. My shoulder problems were acting up last week, but I blame that on sewing. I always have trouble with my shoulder when I use the sewing machine. But I went for the first of the season hikes in the Fells this year and I didn't have to ice my knee when I came home. Nor do I feel any pain now. Better, all my weird dysfunctional pain is gone. My fatigue is still here, but not as bad. I can eat more at a time than I used to be able to eat. I used to get nauseous or full after not eating much. That doesn't happen much anymore. I am having very very slight diarrhea issues that I didn't have before, but I think it is from all the fruit I'm eating as it started when I started making smoothies to ease the hunger. And I might point out I was already eating a banana for breakfast, an apple for lunch, and a mango for dessert after dinner. So the fruit content of my diet was already high.

To solve that problem of too much fruit, I need to get vinegar or lemons back into my diet so I can make dressing for salads and the like. I need more of my calories from vegetables, but they don't appeal as much without that addition. I still am getting two to four servings of vegetables day with about 5 servings of fruit. But it ought to be the other way around. I only seem to be able to get that many vegetables if I make soup. I want salads and coleslaw. Even when I steam bok choy I dress it with something. And it is getting close to bok choy season. But I still have a little over a week to go before I put things back in. Or should I say ONLY a little over a week to go. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

And just to get my disclaimer in. No one that I mentioned in this blog post has paid me for mentioning them. My views are my own.

10 comments:

  1. The H-mart sounds a bit like the Aihua grocery I go to. The owner there is Chinese but she has the best selection of ethnic food in our area. And lots of different fruit, some of which I've never seen before. And choys!

    Have you tried chia seeds? I've been making a pudding with chia seeds and almond milk, but it would be good with coco milk too. It's nice with fruit, sort of like tapioca but easier to make since you don't have to cook it.

    I do hope you find your answers. I know how frustrating it can be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly no seeds. Not even flax. And yes I've tried them thanks to my brother-in-law. I think chia seeds are weird. I haven't made up my mind whether I like them or not.

      Delete
  2. I can't imagine you not growing beans! It seems like your food choices are getting more and more narrow, but I guess it's better than feeling bad all the time. It's a good thing that your garden will be producing soon, the fresh veggies are something to look forward to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Instead of fruit smoothies do green ones. You can flavor them with a bit of fruit and then add a serving or two of whatever greens you can eat. Great way to get more veggies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I planted bok choy this year but did not know how to cook since I have never had bok choy before-- we ended up feeding it to the chicks I would be interested in your recipes for this

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's nice you can eat out and find something that's suitable for your diet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been following your blog for a long time, and want to say a big "thanks!" for the inspiration and encouragement in my own small gardening efforts. I'm in central MA, and your gardens (and different microclimate) seem like a miracle to me!
    I'm very interested in your elimination diet, especially since you are already experiencing reduced inflammation - how marvelous is that?! I have chronic joint pain and have recently decided to stop eating nightshades as an experiment. Now I'm going to reread all your posts related to diet, and research exactly how to undertake an elimination diet. This would be a perfect time, as so many other routines change with the coming of Spring. Thank you for yet another kind of inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you can find a solution for your joint pain. It is no fun living in pain. Eliminating the nightshades didn't get rid of my joint pain, but they did get rid of my muscle problems. I used to get cramps often when I exercised and sometimes at night. I supplemented with magnesium and always drank electrolytes before and during exercise. Which helped a lot, but didn't solve the problem. I've only had one bought of leg cramps this year and that was the night after they did my allergy testing and they tested nightshades then. I've heard people getting better with joint pain after eliminating nightshades though. I'm just hoping I can figure out what does it and get rid of it out of my diet.

      Delete
  7. I'm so glad you got a littler more insight from your diet. When you say 'soy', I assume that includes soy sauce? Just wondering if the fermenting process eases the sensitivity a bit. Do you cook with oyster sauce or fish sauce? They might be good substitutes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm lactose intolerant so soy milk was my main milk. And yes I think soy sauce is bad for me too, which is really sad. I did finally find an oyster sauce that didn't contain soy. Most do. But I can't try them until later.

      Delete