Thursday, February 2, 2012

Weird Weather and Boring Statistics

Yesterday was a balmy 58.5F (15C). About a week ago we had a day that got to 55F. I'm supposed to be in the cold north where the ground freezes solid in mid November and doesn't thaw out until mid or late March. This year the ground has been freezing and thawing out since late December. This is so not normal, so I went and looked at my records.

January has been one strange month.We have had positively balmy weather. Last year the temperatures were pretty normal, but the snowfall was amazingly high. This year we've only gotten one snow storm that gave us enough snow to plow and it disappeared from the ground in just a couple of days. I was looking at the average temperatures between the two years. I have a weather station and 2011 is the first full year of records. Last year the average January temperature was 26.5F (-3C). This year was was 32.6F or barely over freezing.

I'm in zone 6b. This means my average low for the year is about -5F (-20.5C). Last year it was -3.3, which seems about right. This year so far the lowest temperature has been 5.5F. Will I be in zone 7b this year? This will be good for my figs since I never did get around to wrapping them like I'm supposed to in the winter. We do have all of February to go, but usually our lowest temperature happens in January.

In the last few years we have had some very weird weather swings. I know the weather changes from year to year but in 2009 we had the summer of record cold. Then 2010 we had the summer of record heat. Now in 2012 we are getting a winter warmer than any in my memory. What will the summer bring? I keep hoping for a normal year. Or is there no normal anymore?

9 comments:

  1. I really don't think that there is a "normal" anymore. It was 63 here yesterday. Just crazy! We are in 6b and I think the lowest temp this winter has been around 11. I'm going to have to look that up.

    According to the Farmer's Almanac, we are supposed to have a mild summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robin if mild means not too hot and not too cold, I'm all for that. I could use a nice summer. Though hot is good for the plants, I love being outside and hate the heat. So I'd really rather have sunny and high 70s over any other weather in the summer. I think our mid summer high average is about 82 so it isn't far off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nope, the new normal is variety and change. Nothing will really settle for a good number of years, I don't think. All those climate naysayers. Bleah.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, there's no normal any more. I just hope the sea level rise holds off enough before I croak :-)

    I hear there is a terrible drought in Mexico.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Daphne, Enjoyed reading your weather summary for the last few years. I too recall what January should be like in eastern Massachusetts. For a western take on what's happening (early)in my garden in coastal San Diego, see today's post on my blog.
    Susan Martin
    ediblegardenspointloma.tumblr.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes the weather is changing so much here in GA that some of my flowers are now in bloom! Feels like an early spring for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are actually having a closer to normal winter for our region this year. The past two years have been rather abnormal but so far this year is much more typical (and appreciated!). Who knows what next year will bring - or this summer for that matter!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hooray for the harvest! Isn't it nice to be able to use some of your own things? I thoroughly approve of the way you adapted that recipe. I think recipes should constitute suggestions and inspiration, rather than being rigid set of instructions.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This unseasonably warm weather we've been getting is annoying. I already have daffodils coming up. Then they say we are getting snow tomorrow! Argh!

    ReplyDelete