Thursday, August 26, 2010

Rain, Glorious Rain

Market Miracle after the rain

For the last four days we have had rain. Not heavy pouring rain, but drizzle and gentle rain. We only got just under 2". I wish we had gotten more. We haven't had a really good rain for more than a month. Hot and dry has been our summer fare. These last days however have been in the 60Fs (15C-20C).

The days of rain weren't in the forecast in advance. One day yes, but not the multiple days with cool weather. But I lucked out. I planted some fall crops right before it started. The lettuce, radishes, and turnips were planted a few days before it started and I put cardboard on them to try to keep in the moisture. Sad, but it worked. The plants under the cardboard germinated well, the ones that weren't didn't germinate until the weather turned.

The second planting was on Sunday morning right when this all started. I pulled out 5 of my dying tomatoes (Heinz which had finished producing already, Opalka and the three Chinese heirlooms). Now I have 5 really healthy ones (GabrielleAnn, Cherokee Purple who is trying to take over the world, San Marzano, Amish Paste who is running a close second to taking over the world, and Market Miracle), one unhealthy one that won't stop producing (Chocolate Cherry), and one OK one (Principe Borghese). In addition the peppers and marigolds in front of the three Chinese heirlooms were taken out as that 6' long section was to be my planting area.

German Beir Radish from Jody

Once the tomatoes were out I watered the little bit of soil for half an hour to try to get it wet enough to plant. The soil just soaked it up and asked for more. I couldn't believe how dry it was. This morning when I went out this planting was up. It is filled with brassicas: Fun Jen, Tatsoi, two kinds of bok choy, and Chinese broccoli. Once it dries out a bit this morning I'm going to go out and put a row cover on that section.

I'll have to keep them well watered. The forecast is for dry weather again and on Sunday the 90F s (32C+) hit again. Drat. I was hoping we would stay in the high 70Fs and low 80Fs for a while. I much prefer the pleasant weather.

I still have no space to put in some overwintering spinach. But I think that will go in later once the rest of the tomatoes are pulled. If summer ever ends. I suppose if it never ends, I'll just keep getting Cherokee Purple tomatoes. It just keeps growing. It has taken over the top portion of the Heinz's old cage. I couldn't take the cage out because of it. And it is starting to take over the San Marzano cage. San Marzano just can't compete with the vigor of Cherokee Purple. I swear that Cherokee Purple plant has world domination on its mind.

8 comments:

  1. You only got 2 inches? We got drowned here on the south shore. My tomatoes all burst. This weather is crazy. Last week in the 90s, then rain and 60s and back into the 90s for the weekend.

    I love baby seedling pictures. Your tomatoes look very happy as well. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rain water is absolutely the best irrigation for the garden. Plants respond much more vigorously to a deep soaking from rain than any irrigation method. Don't you love those tomatoes that take over the world? I have a Celebrity plant in the greenhouse that is a monster - despite my pruning it several times already! I just hope it continues to thrive and ripen the fruit on it soon. Unlike you we have no possibility of warm summer weather in the offing - so getting tomatoes to actually finish up the ripening process is going to be a challenge. I am up to it though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had four days also but it was closer to 3 1/2 inches. The fall crops look good but what ever tomatoes that were on the plants have now split. Too much water and I didn't pick them before the rain. Hate when that happen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is the perfect type of rain for a garden, and i'm sure the plants really appreciated it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We also have rain here, and it is so refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yest it rained for four days...in Westwood we got 7 inches on Wednesday alone. Despite that, my turnips, radishes, lettuces and other greens that I planted on Sunday morning have mostly sprouted. Isn't summer amazing?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rain is always welcome in our neck of the woods, it comes and goes so fast not enough to keep anything moist for longer than half a day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rain in the summer, that kind of soaking rain, is as scarce as hens' teeth here. We really have a dry/wet year. Oh well.
    .
    It looks lovely

    ReplyDelete