Monday, November 3, 2008

Raspberry Heaven


We had a heavy frost last night, but once things were defrosted, I went out to pick the raspberries. They don't seem to mind the cold at all. The flowers are gone, but the fruit that has set is still ripening. Very slowly. I only pick them about twice a week right now and I only get about half a cup at a time.

This has been one of the best years of all time for raspberries. The fall harvest started on August 28th and is still going. During this time I picked 1/4c - 1c of raspberries every day. Plus these are everbearers, so they also produced for a few weeks in July. I'm guessing I got over 8 quarts of raspberries on my little 5'x6' plot along the driveway.

I attribute this to the early summer rains. We had about twice as much rain as usual. I suppose I could start watering my raspberries so they produce like this every year, but I know I won't. The fruit garden is one of those places in my garden that I never water. I rarely fertilize it either. Just the occasional compost or wood chips every few years.

So where are the raspberries now? I froze some when I was getting a cup a day. I made some into raspberry crisp, but mostly I ate them on my cereal. I love raspberries on cereal and this year, for about three months, I got this treat. Yum.

4 comments:

  1. I could not be more jealous. This post has made me promise myself to prepare a bed for raspberry canes this spring and get some in the ground. Raw on cereal or just eaten out of hand in the patch - there's not too much that's better than that! Glad your survived the frost.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear that you are still enjoying your raspberries. We made more jam and canned and froze more berries than ever before here as well. Something about the weather this year made them take off like a rocket. We still have a few gallons in the freezer waiting to be processed. There are a few still out there on the late bearing vines... maybe some fresh in a reduction for dinner... hhhmmm... Thanks for the idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your raspberries looks so delicious and you've had a great harvest this year too! Lots and lots of raspberries :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't fantastic and amazing to harvest raspberries now ( mine are yellow). Don't you agree that raspberry is the no.1 Queen of berries. The picture look very yummie. I wish you a good voting day and I hope for the best man to win and that America gets a new strong and more human president. LOL Tyra

    ReplyDelete